Opinionated news exctraction for all by that geeky accountant type guy...

Thursday, October 7

Blue tins...

I have spent the better part of this evening searching for this website. Its an electronics store that sells heaphones and other portable audio type stuffs (CD, minidisc etc...). Anyway the reason I was looking for it was because I lost it. Makes sense...

After replacing the padding on my current headphones for $1.99 I have found this new kinda "foam" to be quite rough and is actually thicker the the originals which mean the phones sit further away from the ear. This is bad for 4 reasons....

1. You have to crank it up to listen
2. It lets in more outside noise
3. By cranking it up you go deaf
4. The sound dynamics have obviously change because of this and now they sound horrible.

So I went down the JB HiFi which is the cheapest electronics place around these parts and found that the all singing and dancing Sennheiser PX100 going for $100. Now I have always had headphone types and I began thinking of changing to in-earphones because then I don't have to carry them around etc. I used to have a pair of panasonic semi-in earphones (they only had a semi circle to stick in your ear) and they were super. But I left them in the same pocket as a few starburst and in the sun.... In fact they are still stuck to my bag... The bass on them was nice but they didn't relay isolate very well.

So while at JB I found some sonys (MDR-EX51SP and MDR-EX71SL) The 71's are the most expensive at 100 while the 51's are $75 odd. And when you see them in real life they are extremely small. Which is what I need because normal earphones don't even fit in my ears.

While doing a little research on the fitting of the sonys I stumbled across this site which has a lot of headphones. But most importantly prices are quoted in $AU and they are cheap...

MDR-EX51SP = $48.1
MDR-EX71SL = $64.6
MDR-EX71SL-J = $72 (the ipoop ones)

Sennheiser PX100 = $75
Sennheiser PX200 = $94 ($110 @JB HiFi)

As you can see its quite a lot cheaper, by about $20.

....But what about the problem faced by all online retailers? Shipping? Fear not at its only $6 for postage. Express and FedEx (TNT/DHL/Mayne in aus) are much more expensive at $26 and $35 respectively.

I guess there's the trust issue, especial with overseas stores so maybe it might be worth just buying it from JB instead of trying to route the system and save $10-$20 which can blow out spectacularly as we all know...

This is the bottom of the page